Visitor’s permit for accompanying spouse and dependant children

When a foreigner is granted a long term visa to reside in South Africa, the person may be accompanied by their spouse or life partner. This type of permit is classified as a visitors visa allowing the spouse to reside in South Africa together with the foreigner, however, it does not grant rights to conduct work or take up employment. Should the spouse or life partner wish to take up employment, this will have to be done by means of an application submitted to the Department of Home Affairs complying with the relevant requirements. An accompanying spouse visa is issued for the same duration as the work permit held by the spouse.